MathOverflow is a question and answer site for professional mathematicians. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Suppose $X$ is a "good enough" Hausdorff topological space; we assume that $X$ is not compact. Now, for a natural number $k$ and an abelian group $G$, consider the group $\varinjlim_{\substack{U\subseteq X\\ \text{$X\setminus U$ is compact}}} H^k(U,G)$.

Could you, please, give me a reference to a text where this object is defined? I would like to learn the standard term and notation for it.

Thank you in advance,

share|cite|improve this question
I think this is called 'cohomology of ends'. It is used by Geoghegan in 'Topological Methods in Group Theory', see 3.8 (numbering of the preprint version). I first learned about this somewhere else, but I don't remember the title of the book, nor the author. – Fernando Muro May 7 '13 at 20:12
I think the following link is relevant:… – J. Martel May 7 '13 at 21:21
up vote 10 down vote accepted

This is the cohomology of $X$ at $\infty$. You'll find a discussion of (singular) homology and cohomology at $\infty$ in Hughes & Ranicki, Ends of Complexes (CUP, 1996).

share|cite|improve this answer
@Igor. Oh, so I even guessed the word:))) Thanks a lot for the answer and the reference. – Serge Lvovski May 8 '13 at 5:50

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.