Sign up ×
MathOverflow is a question and answer site for professional mathematicians. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Is there a name for the algebra (and its tensor products) given by generators $U_{j}$, $j \in \mathbb{Z}_{n}$

under the conditions $U_{j} = (1 - U_{j-1})(1-U_{j+1})$? There is no restriction on the commutativity of $U_{j}$. I am interested in structures for all possible cases for $U_{j}$.

share|cite|improve this question
How do I interpret your relation when $j=1$ or $n$? – David Hill Apr 9 '13 at 14:28
For $j=1$, $j-1$ will be $n$ and for $j=n$, $j+1$ will be $1$. – Turbo Apr 9 '13 at 14:37
In that case you can just renumber indices $i \to i-1$ and write $U_i$, $i\in \mathbb{Z}_n$. Adding some context would be helpful. Are the variables $U_i$ (anti)commutative? – Vít Tuček Apr 10 '13 at 8:53
I don't know if this is helpful, but when $n=2$, $U_1$ can be written in terms of $U_0$, so we can regard the algebra as a quotient of a polynomial algebra: $k[x]/\langle x(x^3-4x^2+2x-1)\rangle$. Perhaps it would be easier for someone to recognize this algebra. – David Hill Apr 11 '13 at 19:39

1 Answer 1

Reminds of a Hecke algebra.

share|cite|improve this answer
could you elaborate? – Turbo May 2 '13 at 18:47

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.