MathOverflow is a question and answer site for professional mathematicians. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Hi, given a function $f:X \rightarrow Y$, not necessarily invertible, is there a conventional name for the function $$g_f := f^{-1} \circ f:X \rightarrow \mathcal{P}(X),$$ where $\mathcal{P}(X)$ denotes the power set of $X$?

share|cite|improve this question
I was gonna call it the reflection under f, but maybe there are fields of mathematics where it is commonly used. I am not aware of them though. Just a physicist... – tortortor Apr 7 '13 at 0:11
If you think of $f$ as modding out an equivalence relation on $X$, then this takes $x$ to its equivalence class. Other than that, I've never seen a term for this. – Eric Wofsey Apr 7 '13 at 0:35
I don't think there's a standard name, but perhaps you could use saturation. – Benjamin Dickman Apr 7 '13 at 1:20
In line with what @Eric says I think $[x]_f$ would be a recognizable notation for $g_f(x).$ I suppose $[\cdot]_f$ could be used to single out global function. – Aaron Meyerowitz Apr 7 '13 at 17:36
You could call it a fiber of $f$. The fiber that contains the point $x$. – Tom Goodwillie Apr 7 '13 at 19:58
up vote 6 down vote accepted

I do not know any name for it. However, note that the concept you are definining does not really depend on the function $f$, only on the equivalence relation induced by $f$ (which is sometimes called the kernel of $f$, unless you work with groups).

A set $S$ is called "saturated" with respect to an equivalence relation $\theta$ iff $S$ is a union of equivalence classes, or equivalently, if $S=f^{-1}(f(S))$ (where $f$ is some map inducing $\theta$).

Hence "saturation" (as Benjamin Dickman suggested in a comment) would be a natural choice.

But if the audience members are not mathematicians, "saturation" might mean something entirely different to them. I would suggest "$f$-neighborhood"; this term can be easily visualized, I think.

share|cite|improve this answer
I see, now I really like the saturation idea. Also, I see why the concept might not have (or deserve) its own name given that $g_f$ does not depend on $f$ itself. Thanks! I'll wait a day or two and then accept your answer as probably nothing else will show up. – tortortor Apr 8 '13 at 16:25

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.