MathOverflow is a question and answer site for professional mathematicians. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Let $S$ be an algebraic set generated by polynomials in $\mathbb{C}[x_1, \ldots, x_n]$. Define the "degree" of $S$ as $$ \min( \deg(f_1) + \deg(f_2) + \ldots + \deg(f_m) : f_1, f_2, \ldots, f_m \text{ generates } S ), $$ where $\deg(f_i)$ is the largest degree of a nonzero monomial in $f_i$.

Is there such a definition in algebraic geometry?

share|cite|improve this question
So the degree of a point in $\mathbb{A}^n$ would be $n$? – quim Mar 9 '13 at 6:46
Yes, the degree on a point is $n$. – jsliyuan Mar 9 '13 at 14:00
I have never seen this notion but it seems funny. It is not at all the usual degree, but why not? Can you do something with this notion? Like for the usual degree, compare degree of intersection of two algebraic sets with the degree of the two sets? Or relate it to something else? – Jérémy Blanc Mar 9 '13 at 20:08
yeah, maybe a Bezout-like theorem – IMeasy Mar 10 '13 at 11:53

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.