MathOverflow is a question and answer site for professional mathematicians. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Do the numbers of the form $A_k(n)=(-1)^{k+1}\frac{n}{k}\binom{n-k-1}{k-1}$ have a particular name?

share|cite|improve this question
What are the conditions on $k$ ? Without condition, you have not an integer sequence. – Samuele Giraudo Mar 4 '13 at 11:51
To know how you cama across this sequence might help in answering. – user9072 Mar 4 '13 at 13:19
A general bit of advice for answering questions of this kind: calculate the first several values, and enter them into the box here: – Mark Meckes Mar 4 '13 at 16:45

These numbers are sequence A029635 in the OEIS, where they are called the $(1,2)$-Pascal triangle (or Lucas triangle). More precisely, the numbers given there are $T(n,k) = \frac{n+k}{n}\binom nk$, so $A_k(n) = (-1)^{k+1}T(n-k,k)$. They are all integers.

share|cite|improve this answer

Setting the minus signs aside, the OP's formula for $A_k(n)$ appears as is in the OEIS entry which gives a reference to page 199 of Riordan's Introduction to Combinatorial Analysis, which refers to a 1943 paper by Kaplansky, "Solution of the 'Probléme des Ménages'," in the Bulletin of the AMS (vol. 49, pp. 784-785). The Wikipedia entry may be helpful in tracking things down. I don't see an explicit name given to these numbers.

share|cite|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.