MathOverflow is a question and answer site for professional mathematicians. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

A permutation group $G \lt S_n$ is called generously transitive, if for each $i,j$ there exists a permutation that interchanges them. Is there a reasonable classification of such (finite) groups?

share|cite|improve this question
@oeter franek: The problem is that the parser interprets < as an HTML marker; use \lt for < and \gt for >. I've fixed the question. – Arturo Magidin Feb 28 '13 at 15:54

I believe the answer is No, there is no good classification of these things. It might be helpful for you to know that a "generously transitive permutation group" is the same as a 2-star transitive group. (See for instance the introduction to "The k-star Property for Permutation Groups" by Clough, Praeger, Schneider.) I can email you a copy of this paper if you need it.

share|cite|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.