Take the 2-minute tour ×
MathOverflow is a question and answer site for professional mathematicians. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Roughly speaking, Girsanov's theorem says that if we have a Brownian motion $W$ on $[0,T]$, we can construct a new process with a modified drift that has an equivalent law to $W$ (subject to adaptedness constraints on the drift, integrability, etc...).

I'm wondering if there's a 'converse' to Girsanov's theorem. If we have some process $X$ whose law $\mathbb{P}$ is equivalent to Wiener measure $\mathbb{W}$, can we always express $X$ as $X_t = \alpha_t + W_t$, where $\alpha$ is adapted to the filtration of $W$? Alternatively, can the Radon-Nikodym derivative always be expressed in the form $$\frac{d\mathbb{P}}{d\mathbb{W}} = \exp\left( \int \alpha_u dW_u - \frac{1}{2}\int \alpha^2_u du \right)$$.

share|improve this question
Perhaps the Cameron-Martin theorem is what you are looking for? –  BSteinhurst Feb 7 '13 at 17:55
I don't think so. As far as I understand, Cameron-Martin is a special case of Girsanov. If I specify the drift, Girsanov's theorem tells me the change of measure. What I want to know is: given an equivalent change of measure, is it always expressable in the form above? In short, are changes of measure via Girsanov's theorem "the only thing you can do" to change the measure? –  Simon Lyons Feb 7 '13 at 22:05

1 Answer 1

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.