MathOverflow is a question and answer site for professional mathematicians. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is there a "standard" construction to get a Vitali set in $\mathbb R$ of full outer Lebesgue measure?

share|cite|improve this question
By "Vitali set" you mean a set of representatives for the equivalence relation "have rational difference"? – Goldstern Jan 29 '13 at 8:08
yes, exactly . – Carlo Mantegazza Jan 29 '13 at 15:20
up vote 1 down vote accepted

See e.g.!topic/sci.math/ofkao7iugNg

share|cite|improve this answer
Nice answer Robert! Thanks – Carlo Mantegazza Jan 29 '13 at 11:00

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.