MathOverflow is a question and answer site for professional mathematicians. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Let be $X$ a maximal torus in a Lie group $G$. I'd like to calculate the cohomology $H^{*}(G/N(T))$. I know that it is trivial in odd degree and the base-field is even but I haven't a basic method to do this. Is there a simple method of calculation when the gruop $G$ is the unitary gruop $U(n)$?

share|cite|improve this question

If you take $G=U(n)$, then $G/T$ is the flag variety of $GL_n({\mathbb C})$. Hence its cohomology is given by Bruhat cells and as a representation of the Weyl group $W=N(T)/T)$ acting on the right on $G/T$, it is the regular representation (there are no fixed points for $W$!Use Lefschetz). Therefore, the space of invariant elements is one dimensional and is given by $H^0(G/T)$.

The same method applies to any compact connected LIe group $G$ and $T$ is a maximal torus.

For other groups, you need, I think, to know what the torus looks like (i.e. if it is split, or non-split etc).

share|cite|improve this answer
Have you some reference to study how Bruhat decomposition works? How can I use Lefschetz? However, do you know a complete reference in this topic? – Oscar1778 Jan 13 '13 at 13:51
the space $G/T$ is the same as $G({\mathbb C}/B$ where $B$ is a Borel subgroup of the complexification $G({\mathbb C})$ containing $T$. One is doing Bruhat decomposition for this $B$. This is standard stuff in algebraic groups. The group $N(T)/T$ acts on the {\bf right} on $G/T$ and no element has a fixed point. Hence you can apply Lefschetz fixed point formula to say that this is the regular representation of $W$. Again, this is a well known fact (perhaps old papers of Bott or Borel). – Venkataramana Jan 13 '13 at 14:23

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.