MathOverflow is a question and answer site for professional mathematicians. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

This is a notation question:

If $A$ is a set in a topological space and $\bar{A}$ is its closure, is there a (standard) name for $\bar{A}\setminus A$?

share|cite|improve this question
Though my subject is not topology but analysis, I have never seen a standard name for it. – András Bátkai Jan 11 '13 at 8:41
I would think yours is in general an ill-behaved object. Of course, if your set is additionally open, then that's exactly the definition of boundary of $A$. – Delio Mugnolo Jan 11 '13 at 9:08
How about "the set of limit points not in $A$" or "the set of closure points not in $A$"? These both sound familiar, and I can't immediately think of any other standard terminology. – Mark Grant Jan 11 '13 at 9:20
you could call these points the: "external limit points" --- but why create new terminology unless you need to use it several times in the same paper... – Suvrit Jan 11 '13 at 10:02
I had a series of papers in set-theoretic topology where sets of this form were critical to analyzing a notion of forcing, and I never came across a standard name... – Todd Eisworth Jan 11 '13 at 15:32

You could use "external boundary"... and "internal boundary" for A minus its interior

share|cite|improve this answer
I don't think this is good terminology, because the intersection of the exterior of a set with its boundary will always be empty, and therefore needn't equal its external boundary. However the basic idea of modifying the word "boundary" with an adjective is a good one, in my opinion. – goblin Sep 24 '13 at 8:22

The english word for the common french expression used for this is "frontier".

share|cite|improve this answer
Hi Adrien, the foniter of A (Fr(A)=(clA\cap cl(X\setminus A)) so is not equal with clA\setminus A. For example let A=[1,2] in R with usual topology. – Ali Taherifar 13 mins ago – Ali Jan 11 '13 at 15:21
Yes, this is used in analytic geometry (cf. Hardt, R. M. Stratification of real analytic mappings and images. Invent. Math. 28 (1975), 193–208); in Polish, \Lojasiewicz used the term "skraj" in his lectures (which I attended in mid-1990s). However, the usage is not so common in other areas: some algebraic and manifold topologists use "frontier" to denote what in point-set topology is commonly called the "boundary", because "boundary" means for them a different notion. Earlier, the terms "boundary" and "frontier" (resp. "bord" and "frontiere") seem to have been often used interchangeably. – Margaret Friedland Jan 11 '13 at 18:26

To summarize here all the answers that people gave in comments:

1) There seems not to be a standard notation/terminology for $\bar{A}\setminus A$ in the literature.

2) Points in $\bar{A}\setminus A$ can be referred to as "limit/closure points not in $A$" or "external limit/closure points".

3) $\bar{A}\setminus A$ is different in general than the boundary/frontier of $A$ which is defined as $\bar{A}\setminus \mathrm{int}(A)$, where $\mathrm{int}(A)$ is the interior of $A$.

share|cite|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.