MathOverflow is a question and answer site for professional mathematicians. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is there a heuristic reason why pricipal homogeneus spaces of a group (object) $G$ (in some categories) are called $G$-torsors? Does it have anything to do with the idea of "torsion", somehow? When and where did this piece of terminology originate?

share|cite|improve this question
Don't know for sure, but the stem tors- suggests "twisted", as in a typical principal homogeneous space being considered a "twisted product bundle" (with twisting controlled by Cech 1-cocycle data). – Todd Trimble Dec 29 '12 at 17:14
As for the origin, SGA1 has a footnote on page 75 (of the re-edition), which says in rough translation "It seems preferable to adopt the shorter and more meaningful term 'torsor [torseur] of $G$', introduced in the thesis of J. Giraud" – Donu Arapura Dec 29 '12 at 19:18

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.