MathOverflow is a question and answer site for professional mathematicians. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

There is a simple canonical form of a symmetric and antisymmetric bilibear forms. Is there a canonical form for a general bilinear form?

share|cite|improve this question
To improve your question, why not include in it the canonical forms you have in mind for the first sentence. Also, are you restricting the characteristic in any way (e.g., do you allow bilinear forms in characteristic 2)? – KConrad Dec 27 '12 at 5:40
This question should have a canonical answer in the literature... Hopefully someone knows! – Mariano Suárez-Alvarez Dec 27 '12 at 5:54
I think this may be interesting for you:… – Qfwfq Dec 27 '12 at 13:58

If the characteristic of the ground field is not 2, then a bilinear form B on a vector space V can be written uniquely in the form B = A + S, where A is an antisymmetric bilinear form and S is a symmetric bilinear form. Then you will generally have invariants of the pair to deal with. For example, there will be the ranks of A and S and, for S, the type of the quadratic form. In a generic case, for example, when S is nondegenerate, one can then turn A into a linear map L from V into itself via the rule A(x,y) = S(x,Ly) and then the characteristic polynomial of L as a linear map will provide invariants of the original B. Any canonical form will have to be rich enough to capture such invariants.

share|cite|improve this answer

People in matrix analysis would call this a "canonical form under congruence". Take a look at; the solution is stated there.

share|cite|improve this answer
More precisely, the solution when the ground field is $\mathbb{C}$ is stated there. – Robert Bryant Dec 27 '12 at 14:04

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.