MathOverflow is a question and answer site for professional mathematicians. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

What would you call the product of an annulus and $S^1$ (a 'thickened' torus like 3-manifold)?

More generally, is there an archive or list online of names assigned to various (non-standard) manifolds by people? Or a set convention by which to name them?

share|cite|improve this question
A tubular neighborhood of the torus. – Steve Huntsman Jan 10 '10 at 16:25
@Steve That only makes sense if it's embedded in an ambient polyhedron. – Daniel Moskovich Jan 11 '10 at 0:44
Sorry to reretag, but "names" is more apt that "notation". – Jonas Meyer Jan 11 '10 at 2:20
A common way to name manifolds is via cobordism + surgery. Thom classified manifolds up to cobordism, and you get between any two cobordant manifolds via surgery. So that's a common (if highly ambiguous) naming convention. Moskovich's response falls under the verbiage of fibre bundle terminology, which is far less ambiguous. – Ryan Budney Jan 11 '10 at 2:35
I also added the tag "3-manifolds". – Daniel Moskovich Jan 11 '10 at 4:29
up vote 6 down vote accepted

I would call it a thickened torus. I don't know how standard that is, but it is quite normal to speak of thickened manifolds, where one means that manifold times a closed interval.
I have long felt that there should be a mathematical dictionary- not an encyclopaedia, by a dictionary- in order to fix and record standard usage.

share|cite|improve this answer
A trivial $I$-bundle over a torus would be another -- since there are non-orientable $I$-bundles over the torus this is a tiny bit more specific. – Ryan Budney Jan 11 '10 at 2:19
@Ryan: $M\ddot{o}\times S^1$ is the non-orientable twisted $I$-bundle over the torus. – janmarqz Oct 12 '12 at 1:48

that corresponds to the complement of a trivial (but essencial) torus knot in a open solid torus. For those -Fico had mention- they are called cable spaces and have nice foliation into circles. Its name is CS(1,0). Can you see what is CS(2,1)?

Edit at: utc-6 = 11:50 approx

you could also say the trivial I-bundle over the torus

share|cite|improve this answer

May I {humbly} suggest "inner tube", as in "Floating down the river in an ... " ? (Strike while the terminological iron is hot.)

Gerhard "Ask Me About System Design" Paseman, 2010.02.09

share|cite|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.