MathOverflow is a question and answer site for professional mathematicians. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I am sorry to bother the community with such a narrow question, it may perhaps be a little specific. As I study Random Matrix Theory, I often have to solve integrals of the form

$$\mathcal{P} \int_a^b dy \frac{\sqrt{P(y)}}{x-y}$$

Where $P(y)$ is a polynomial positive between $a$ and $b$ and $a\leq x\leq b$. Usually Mathematica does the trick, although it takes an ungodly amount of time for it to compute CPV of an integral. My question is this: does this kind of integral has a name? Does anyone know literature on the subject that might be of use?

For $P(y)=(b-y)(y-a)$ this integral has a simple and elegant value, but for any polynomial larger than degree 2 I can't find any answer. In particular, my ambitions are small and I care more for the case $P(y)=(b-y)(y-a)(c-y)(d-y)$ with $c$ and $d$ outside $[a,b]$. I apologize if it is trivial.

share|cite|improve this question
up vote 3 down vote accepted

Your principal value integral has the form of a Hilbert transform. It is probably more helpful to note that it is closely related to the Stieltjes transform. The Stieltjes transform of a function $f(y)$ is defined by

$$ S(z)=\int_I dy\frac{f(y)}{z-y} $$

for a real interval $I$ and complex $z$ not in $I$. If we take $I=[a,b]$ and $f=\sqrt{P}$, then your integral is given by

$$ {\cal P}\int_{a}^{b}dy\frac{\sqrt{P(y)}}{x-y}=\lim_{\epsilon\rightarrow 0}\Re S(x+i\epsilon). $$

share|cite|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.