MathOverflow is a question and answer site for professional mathematicians. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Let $\Omega $ be a bounded open subset of $R^n,\; n\ge 1.$

I m asking about the existence of a subregion $\omega\subset \Omega$ such that the map $y\to y|_\omega $ from $H^2(\Omega)$ into $L^\infty(\omega)$ is continuous?.

share|cite|improve this question
Good luck with that, when $n\geq 2$. – YangMills Nov 16 '12 at 14:30
I would rather construct counterexamples. The Sobolev embedding theorem is known to be quite sharp. – Alexander Shamov Nov 16 '12 at 15:03
Sorry, I meant good luck when $n\geq 4$, since $H^2=W^{2,2}$ does not in general embed into $L^\infty$. – YangMills Nov 16 '12 at 19:30

I think it would help to specify what you mean by subregion $\omega \subset \Omega$. In general, it is absolutely true for $\omega$ a lower dimensional object. For example, when $n=2$ and $u \in H^1(\Omega)$, you can expect that for most (Lebesgue almost every) slices the restriction $u|_\omega$ is absolutely continuous (and therefore continuous and bounded).

If you want a subregion of full measure, then the dimension and exponent are important. A nice example is a function like $|x|^a$, whose derivative is $a|x|^{a-1}$ and second derivative is $a(a-1)|x|^{a-2}$. Computing the $L^2$ norm of this second derivative near zero, we find that we require

$\int_0^1 r^{2(a-2)}\;r^{n-1}dr <\infty$

which is equivalent to saying $2(a-2)+n-1>-1$, so that we should have $a>2-\frac{n}{2}$. Therefore, if $n > 4$, the function $|x|^{-\epsilon}$ is in $H^2(B)$ but not in $L^\infty(B)$. Then, you can define

$u(x):= \sum_n \frac{1}{2^n} |x-x_n|^{-\epsilon}$,

where $(x_n)_n$ is a dense set and obtain a function which is unbounded in every open set and still in $H^2$, by the above calculation.

Also, YangMills comment is right, since we see when $n=4$ it should still be possible, but one should use logarithms.

share|cite|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.