MathOverflow is a question and answer site for professional mathematicians. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Recall that a right ideal $P$ of a prime Goldie ring $R$ is called completely prime right ideal if $aP\subseteq P$ and $ab\in P$ implies that $a\in P$ or $b\in P$ for all $a, b\in R$. Now let $P_1$, $P_2$ and $P_3$ be completely prime right ideals which are not comparable, Is $P_1\cap P_2\cap P_3$ proper subset of $P_1\cap P_2$ ?

share|cite|improve this question

For a counterexample, consider the ring $R = \mathbb{M}_2(F)$ for a field $F$. View this as a ring of linear transformations acting from the right on the space $F^2$ of row vectors.

Because $R$ is an artinian ring, then it follows from Corollaries 2.7 and 2.10 of this paper that every completely prime right ideal of $R$ is maximal. Any maximal right ideal of $R$ is of the form $eR$ where $e$ is an idempotent element that projects onto a 1-dimensional subspace of $F^2$.

Let $L_1, L_2, L_3$ respectively denote the lines in $F^2$ spanned by $(1,0)$, $(0,1)$, and $(1,1)$. For $i=1,2,3$, let $e_i \in R$ denote the projection with kernel $L_i$ and image $L_{i+1}$, indices taken mod 3. Consider the distinct (hence incomparable) maximal right ideals $P_i = e_i R$. Then for $i \neq j$, any element of $P_i \cap P_j = e_i R \cap e_j R$ has kernel containing $L_i + L_j = F^2$. Thus $P_i \cap P_j = 0$ for any $i \neq j$. In particular $P_1 \cap P_2 \cap P_3 = P_1 \cap P_2$.

(This example can be generalized to $\mathbb{M}_n(F)$ for any $n \geq 2$, by fixing an idempotent $f \in \mathbb{M}_n(F)$ with rank $n - 2$ and constructing three idempotents $e_1,e_2,e_3$ with rank $n-1$ such that $e_iR \cap e_jR = fR$ for any $i \neq j$.)

share|cite|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.