MathOverflow is a question and answer site for professional mathematicians. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

We are given vectors $\mathbf a_1,\dots,\mathbf a_N\in\mathbb C^n$. Let these vectors be columns of $n$-by-N matrix $\mathbf A$. We additionally know that any $n-1$ vectors are linearly independent. This makes possible to do the following: we consider all $n-1$ tuples $\mathbf a_{i_1},\dots,\mathbf a_{i_{n-1}}$ (there are $N$ choose $n-1$ of them) and for very $n-1$-tuple we take the vector (it is unique up to scaling factor) which is orthogonal to $\mathbf a_{i_1},\dots,\mathbf a_{i_{n-1}}$.

Let the new vectors form the matrix $\mathbf B$. Then $\mathbf B$ is $n$-by-$N$ choose $n-1$ matrix. (We also assume that the columns of $\mathbf B$ are ordered somehow)

The question is: is there exist some special name and the notation for the matrix $\mathbf B$? (some one told me that this operation relates somehow to the Hodge star dual)

share|cite|improve this question

$B = \Lambda^{n-1}A$.

share|cite|improve this answer
To Sasha: The even(or odd) rows of $\Lambda^{n-1}\mathbf A$ must be multiplied by $-1$ also. But what is the name for $\mathbf B$? ($\Lambda^{n-1}\mathbf A$ is called $n-1$-th compound of $\mathbf A$ and is denoted by $\mathcal C_{n-1}(\mathbf A)$) – don Bass Sep 21 '12 at 13:41
It is called $(n-1)$-st wedge power of $A$. – Sasha Sep 21 '12 at 14:10
$(n−1)$-th wedge power of $\mathbf A$ = $(n−1)$-th exterior power of $\mathbf A$ = $(n−1)$-th compound of $\mathbf A$, but to get $B$ we must multiply from the left by antidiagonal matrix with 1,-1,1,-1,... on the antidiagonal. – don Bass Sep 21 '12 at 14:14
The signs depend on your identification of $V = C^n$ with $\Lambda^{n-1}V$. – Sasha Sep 21 '12 at 14:29

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.