MathOverflow is a question and answer site for professional mathematicians. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

In the category of normed vector spaces in which the morphisms are linear contractions, what do products look like?

share|cite|improve this question
up vote 6 down vote accepted

Two words: sup norm.

I.e., the product of a family is the uniformly bounded subset of the cartesian product of the family, and the norm is the smallest uniform bound.

Explicitly, if $\{X_i\}_{i\in I}$ is a family of normed vector spaces with all norms ambiguously denoted $\|\cdot\|$, then the product is $X=\{\{a_i\}\in\prod X_i:\sup\|a_i\|<\infty\}$, and for $\{a_i\}\in X$, $\|\{a_i\}\|=\sup\|a_i\|$.

(My intuition came from products of C*-algebras, where the $*$-homomorphisms are automatically contractive and products are defined in this way. So I had a good guess and it is easy to check that it works.)

share|cite|improve this answer
One way to arrive at this answer is to note that Hom(R, X) is the set of points in the closed unit ball in X, so the unit ball in X x Y must be the product of the unit balls in X and Y. – Reid Barton Jan 5 '10 at 4:40
Yeah, that's so much clearer than my intuition! Thanks. – Jonas Meyer Jan 5 '10 at 4:46

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.