MathOverflow is a question and answer site for professional mathematicians. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Consider the category $Space(G)$ of $G$-spaces. For $H\subset G$, there is a forgetful functor from $Space(G)$ to $Space(H)$. Also, for an object $X$ in $Space(G)$ and another object $X'$ in $Space(G')$, $X\times X'$ is in $Space(G\times G')$.

Consider also the category of $Mod(G)$ of modules over $H_G(pt)$. For $H\subset G$, there is a forgetful functor from $Mod(G)$ to $Mod(H)$. Also for a module $M$ in $Mod(G)$ and another module $M'$ in $Mod(G')$, $M\otimes_{\mathbb{Z}} M'$ is in $Mod(G\times G')$.

My question is whether there is an established terminology for the categories $C(G)$ parameterized by a group $G$ satisfying the axioms abstracting those listed above:

  • For $H\subset G$ there is a forgetful functor from $C(G)$ to $C(H)$
  • For $G$, $G'$ there is a "multiplication functor" from $C(G)\times C(G')$ to $C(G\times G')$

satisfying various relations. The equivariant cohomology functor $H_G: Space(G) \to Mod(G)$ is compatible with these two operations. Is there a terminology for such a functor?

Update: Pondering more about it, I think it is better to formulate the concept as "categories $\mathcal{C}$ contravariantly parameterized by another (symmetric) monoidal category $\mathcal{X}$ ", i.e.

  • for an object $X$ in $\mathcal{X}$, there is a category $\mathcal{C}(X)$
  • for a morphism $f:X\to Y$ between objects in $\mathcal{X}$, there is a functor $f:\mathcal{C}(Y)\to\mathcal{C}(X)$
  • for an object $X$ and $Y$ with its product $X\times Y$ in $\mathcal{X}$, there is a multiplication functor which defines, by $o_1\in \mathcal{C}(X)$ and $o_2\in\mathcal{C}(Y)$, an object $o_1\times o_2 \in \mathcal{C}(X\times Y)$.
share|cite|improve this question
Perhaps you're thinking of a lax monoidal pseudofunctor $\mathcal{X}^\textrm{op} \to \mathfrak{Cat}$. – Zhen Lin Sep 14 '12 at 4:43
up vote 6 down vote accepted

Zhen is right that you can think of it as a lax monoidal pseudofunctor. In this paper, I called an equivalent structure a "monoidal fibration".

share|cite|improve this answer
Thank you! I guess $H_G$ is then a functor between two monoidal fibrations... – Yuji Tachikawa Sep 14 '12 at 12:43

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.