MathOverflow is a question and answer site for professional mathematicians. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Apologies if this is elementary, but I have never heard the terminology before:

What is a "non-splitting covering" of a finite group?

I encountered the term while reading this paper, in which the author introduces a group $H$ with subgroups $V$ and $T$ with the presentation $$H = \langle a,b,x,y \mid a^4=b^4=x^4=y^3=1, a^2=b^2=x^2, [b,a]=a^2, [x,a]=[y,b]=ab,$$ $$ [y,a]=b^3,[x,y]=y^2,[x,b]=a^3b\rangle;$$ $$V = \langle a,b \rangle = \mbox{Fit}H\text{ and }T = \langle x, y \rangle.$$ She then concludes that $H = VT$ is the "non-splitting covering of $S_4$", with $V \cong Q_8$ and $H/V \cong S_3$. I am not sure what she means by this; my best guess is that $H$ contains $S_4$ and is not a split extension. As a side note, if anyone knows where to find a more intuitive description of (or a more common name for) this group, I would be appreciative.

share|cite|improve this question
The term I have usually seen is 'non-split cover'. A cover of a group $G$ is just a group that has a quotient isomorphic to $G$. – Colin Reid Aug 23 '12 at 1:06
up vote 2 down vote accepted

I think it is rather that $H$ has a homomorphic image $S_4,$ but no subgroup $S_{4}.$ It is sometimes called a double cover of $S_{4}.$ The group $S_{4}$ has two such non-isomorphic (proper) double covers. One is ${\rm GL}(2,3)$ which has a semidihedral Sylow $2$-subgroup. The other is the binary octahedral group, which has a generalized quaternion Sylow $2$-subgroup. The latter group is a subgroup of ${\rm GL}(2,9)$ which may be obtained from ${\rm GL}(2,3)$ by replacing elements by scalar multiples of determinant $1$.

share|cite|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.