MathOverflow is a question and answer site for professional mathematicians. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Consider a set-valued, finite-valued map $F$ from a set $X$ to subsets of $X$. Consider the following property: $|F(x)| \geq |F(y)|$ for all $x,y$ such that $y \in F(x)$. I have defined this property myself in a specific context but I am not sure what name to give it. I would like to know if there is a standard name for this property or similar property in set-valued analysis or otherwise. Any suggestions for names would also be appreciated.

share|cite|improve this question
Isn't this is just some kind of monotonicity? – Suvrit Aug 22 '12 at 5:59
It is monotonicity along certain paths in the graph of F. – Ankur Aug 22 '12 at 14:18

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.