MathOverflow is a question and answer site for professional mathematicians. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Hello everyone,

Suppose that I am defining a function which embeds a surface (manifold) in $\mathbb{R}^3$.

Is there a standard symbol or letter that is used for this function?

Additionally, is there any other classical or standard notation (such as the hooked arrow for inclusion maps) of which I ought to be aware?



share|cite|improve this question
Most embeddings I've met were called a lower case Roman letter between $e$ and $k$. As far as arrows, I prefer $\hookrightarrow$ for an embedding and $\looparrowright$ for an immersion, but you sometimes also see $\subset$ for an embedding and $\subseteq$ for an immersion. – Mark Grant Aug 13 '12 at 12:30
up vote 4 down vote accepted

I usually use $\iota$ (\iota) for all kinds of embeddings.

share|cite|improve this answer
Thanks Wolfgang, much appreciated. – Chris Aug 15 '12 at 0:00

No, there is none.

share|cite|improve this answer
Thanks Dox, I hadn't run into anything obviously standard in the literature, but I wanted to ask before I put it in my thesis! – Chris Aug 15 '12 at 0:00
You're welcome! (even if mine contribution was useless) – Dox Aug 15 '12 at 1:55

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.