MathOverflow is a question and answer site for professional mathematicians. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

If I have an ordered set of objects (for concreteness, say they're integers) $(x_1,\ldots,x_n)$, I might call it a tuple of integers.

Perhaps, though, I have an set of integers $(x_1,\ldots,x_n)$ but the order is only defined up to cyclical permutation (imagine they're sitting at distinct points along a circle); so $(x_1,\ldots,x_n)$ is the same as $(x_2,\ldots,x_n,x_1)$. I thus can't call this a "tuple of integers" because that would imply there is a canonical ordering. Is there some standard term I can use, besides the unweildy phrase "cyclically ordered set of integers"?

share|cite|improve this question
A necklace $ \ $ – Gjergji Zaimi Jul 26 '12 at 2:22
Even with the term necklace one needs some care. It matters in some cases that the necklace not be worn upside down. I suggest a less common term like circlet, with a modifier in case reversals are NOT allowed. Gerhard "Doesn't Know The Standard Term" Paseman, 2012.07.26 – Gerhard Paseman Jul 26 '12 at 16:30
Perhaps clocklet? Gerhard "OK I'll Stop For Now" Paseman, 2012.07.26 – Gerhard Paseman Jul 26 '12 at 16:34

It certainly depends on the context. I've seen 'cycle' or 'necklace' used before for this, but you had best define it first as these aren't universal.

share|cite|improve this answer

Cyclic orderings are somewhat rare beasts but they do show up here and there. A set with a cyclic ordering is a "cyclically ordered set", just as a set with a total (or partial) ordering is a "totally (or partially) ordered set". The formal definition of a cyclic ordering is found in Its just a certain kind of ternary relation on a set.

I suppose if you wanted to mimic "poset" for "partially ordered set" you could say "coset", but I would not advise it :-) and for an exhaustive list of the most common alternatives see the link above.

share|cite|improve this answer

If your objects that sit at distinct points along a circle are all elements of some set $L$, and repetitions are allowed, the term "cyclic words in the alphabet $L$" is fairly commonly used. If no repetitions are allowed, so that you just have an equivalence relation on total orderings of some set $A$, one usually talks about "cyclic orderings of $A$".

share|cite|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.