Take the 2-minute tour ×
MathOverflow is a question and answer site for professional mathematicians. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I am interested in two-variable functions f with the following property:

$\forall M, \exists N$ such that $\forall x, \forall y>N, f(x,y)>M.$

(To be absolutely clear: the $\forall x$ quantifier is not restricted like the $\forall y$ one is)

Is there a standard name for such functions?

One particular example (on $\mathbb{N}$): if $\lim_{y\to\infty}h(y)=\infty$, then $f(x,y):=\sum_{i=\min(x,y)}^yh(i)$ has the above property.

share|improve this question
Why not just say that $\inf_x f(x,y) \to \infty$ as $y \to \infty$? –  Robert Israel Jul 11 '12 at 20:55
Oh, that works perfectly, thank you! –  Anon Jul 11 '12 at 21:06

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.